Between Dharamsala and McLeodganj, amidst a deodhar forest, lies the St. John in the Wilderness Church. Built in the year 1852 following a neo-Gothic architecture, it is an impressive building with Belgian stained glass windows and a bell that was imported from England. Its stone and wooden structure is famously known to have survived the highly destructive 1905 Kangra earthquake.
The Church also contains the memorial of Lord Elgin who served as the Governor General of Canada, and subsequently, of India. The Church is attached to the Church of North India - a united church of Protestant denomination.